My journey of being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) , sharing experiences with parenting, family, experiences, and some Blogger learning.

New year Gifts to my family

Thursday, June 9, 2016

E-book versus paperback



I am badly etching to read something before going to shut my eyes and retire for the day. As I am at my mom's place,so obviously a limited book stock is available with me. And this urge to feed my brain and satiate my reading spree is on all time high. It's already post 12 in the night ,and for a night owl like me its a normal time,phew... But the issue remains the same, how to read a book when all lights are switched off with kiddo sleeping next to me. That's when I took solace in my e-books. Thanks to the e-book friendly mobile and tablets of todays that book reading is sole pleasure without disturbing anyone in the same room.
This itch to read gave me a good fodder for a new blog post.
I was never such a indulging Reader. Remembering my childhood days, i loved to read the stories, and since those phantom, nagaraj,chacha chaudhary, pinky, captain dhruv etc etc comic books were not allowed in our home, so I always read the stories published in the Hindi and English literature school curriculum books. I use to finish off those books even before the new session of school started. So it was kind of bonanza to me, got to read the stories in advance plus it helped me to understand the lessons well too leaving me with good scores in both languages. I so loved to write the answers in exam hall for both Hindi and English literatures, but yeah never wrote vague and irrelevant ones though ,sparing my teachers from getting insane 😜. As soon as the results went out of the annual exams, my next task was to keep nudging my father to get me next class books, and he felt good that his daughter is so studious and concerned for studies 😈
After finishing school, what was left to read were those boring engineering books which were meant to be read a night before the exams. My dad was so worried seeing this casual attitude of mine towards studies that he asked me one day if I will pass or not as he never saw me with book as those in school days. How could I explain him that there are no stories in those books other than formulas, theories, etc etc which were too bore to read before exams.
My reading habit paused and I never really looked back to it.After years, during my office days someone gave me Chetan Bhagat's "five point someone to read" and I finished it in two nights. Again this reading habit started to crawl in my schedule. I owe a thanks to Mr Chetan Bhagat to strike the right chord at right time,even though rest of his books were all like yuck. I again started to sail in the world of books, and finally after reading the complete vampire saga of "Stephanie Meyer " I was again in full love with late night reads.
This late night reading is good and unharmful until one need not share the bedroom, once sharing begins the petty issues of disturbances, lights, work, tales, conversation and many more comes into picture hindering the book love. After the room share when you need to share urself too with your little one then just forget about reading, all the routine goes kaboom, the clock is adjusted as per the little one's clock.
Now what, how to read.....while the little one is awake, her/his favorite toys are the paperback books of your collection. Sigh, the books have to take a backseat. At this moment I can't thank enough the technology which made it easier to read books in the smart way without getting hindered , disturbed, and not fearing to any wear and tears.
For mothers like me the e-books are real Boon, a Savior to maintain one's sanity, Hobby, love.
I am mentioning the advantages which I experienced of e-books over paperback but on other note paperback has its own charm.
1.) e-books gives the flexibility to read at any time, any place at your convenience without bothering to carry your collection.
2.) It's not necessary to carry those jumbo books, sagas, just a click and all are handy with you at one place, one library.
3.) Now who worries about vocabulary, just touch and get every single meaning of those perplex words of the world classics.
4.) Free from any damage to the books, no wear and tears....beware Damages done to device are exempted. Kids can get real nasty at times.
5.) No more missing of bookmarks and pages.
6.) The e-books are quite economical too
7.) Many e-books are for free, some of them are real good reads.
8.) Sometimes not sure about a new writer ,the sample read comes handy, download the free sample of the book and decide if want to buy or not.
9.) The font size is an amazing feature, no more bad fonts and those miniscule sizes of Sidney Sheldon
10.) And last but not the least the audio feature is available too, though I prefer to read rather than listen.

But but but, the paperback aka hardback have it's own charm, and benefits.
1.) Firstly to hold a book and read it, turn over it's pages, putting a bookmark, marking and highlighting, the feel,the paper smell, it's something e-books can't beat at anytime at least for me.
2.) Secondly the books I am in love with always soothes my eyes in their physical form well placed in my bookshelf. The joy of picking them anyday and reading any random page is something indescribable.
3.) Thirdly the hardbook is all about love of reading while e-book is combining the love and convenience. When left with no option to hold a book, the e-books come handy.
4.) Sleeping with a book on my face is something I do, just a quick nap ,but with e-books can't even think about it. All I worry is if I drop the device or if the battery discharged.

So finally, it's like a win win situation for both e-book and paperback, all it matters is convenience at the moment.For next few years I think I might stick to e-books and with my growing kid my leisure reading and lovely paperbacks will find their way back !!
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment