My journey of being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) , sharing experiences with parenting, family, experiences, and some Blogger learning.

New year Gifts to my family

Friday, November 17, 2017

Lotus Seed/ Makhana - healthy finger food for toddlers and Grownups

In the Indian households its a common practice to eat Lotus Seed, called as (Makhana in Hindi) either raw or roasted, sometimes its used as dry fruit, sometimes as snack, whichever way, it was always in my liked items list as I was a pathetically fussy eater right from my childhood days. This fussy eating trait exists in both me and Mr. Hubby, and hence have carried forward in my daughter too. Well in current scenario,I am at better place as gradually almost every vegetarian item cooked at home has made its place in my stomach, but Mr. Hubby is still laid back.
Makhana is something which everyone likes in both of my families ( parents, & in-laws). Few months back I was in search of some healthy snack items for my kid as she was so inclined towards Haldiram's Aloo Bhujia that having lunch went to second priority for her. In this situation, I scratched my brain and used my childhood memories of having roasted Makhana whenever we came back from playing or other activities. Earlier she refused it, but I kept on roasting it and all of us (family members) eating infront of her, which made her to atleast try. Finally after  month long efforts, she is fond of Makhana, at any time she can eat it. whenever she comes back from her dance class, or park, or while she is doing her homework a little box of freshly roasted Makhana is right infront of her to munch upon. This newly liked snack has eased up my worries of Aloo Bhujia , chocolates or any other unhealthy item to be munched upon. That's said 'Tummy khush, Baby khush, and mummy Superkhush '.
                                                                   Makhana/lotus Seed
                                                                 Image Credit: Google images

Since kid was eating them on a regular basis , so the mommy in me sprang in action to find out what all nutrients I am giving to my kid. The results are astonishing. I am glad that my kid likes these beauties and getting healthy without any pleadings for food.
The benefits which I have found out are as listed:

BENEFITS of MAKHANA/LOTUS SEED:

1) Makhana are very light and hence easy to digest. Its health benefits are said to be more powerful than the other dry fruits including Almond, walnuts, cashewnut etc.

2)Eating makhana can help in weight loss. Whenever there is urge to eat, do munch upon a few, which in turn will make you full with essential nutrients thus curbing your appetite for unhealthy foods. They are low in calories but high on fibre, and of-course fibrous food is a boon to our body preventing constipation.
3) Makhana are rich in protein, carbohydrates,fibre,potassium,phosphorous,iron,zinc, and magnesium.

4) These are low in sodium content, and since magnesium is present naturally, Makhana are good for people suffering from heart diseases, high blood pressure and diabetes. Now I am going to make my parents eat these powerhouses on a daily basis.

5)Makhana have anti aging enzymes which in turn helps in repairing damaged proteins in the body.So its like ageing can be slowed down with all the goodness of Makhanas.

6) Due to its calming properties , it helps in better sleep. Being light , it will not harm to eat a few before retiring for the day.


The best way to eat Makhana is the roasted way, as even I don't like the raw ones.Here comes the easy-peasy, ready within minutes recipe.
Recipe for Roasted Lotus Seed/Makhana:
1) Heat a heavy bottomed pan ( Iron kadhai is best), put 1-2 tablespoons of clarified butter (Ghee), once warm pour Makhana in the hot pan, and stir them evenly for just 5-10 minutes on a low flame, else the Makhanas will stick to the bottom and spoil.
2) I sprinkle some Rock salt (Sendha Namak in Hindi) on these roasted Makhanas. Tadaa, the tasty snacks for everyone is ready.

Since I am using Rock salt instead of table salt, it becomes important to list its beneficial properties .
There are so many benefits of Rock salt which needs a different post to cover up. Making an attempt to list some of its benefits here in context of using it in daily life.

1)The Rock salt is healthier than the table salt  as it has natural iodine which is good for health while the table salts are iodised artificially and have high sodium chloride which in long run is harmful to human system.
2)Due to the goodness of Rock salt, we have replaced the sea salt with it and don't find any difference in taste of food items. Rock salt has always been used in raitas, and chaats. It helps in digestion.

3)Since rock salt is full of natural earthly minerals, it boosts the immunity of human body.

For other benefits will soon post a detailed writeup in coming days.
Till then enjoy Makhanas aka Lotus Seed.

1 comment: