My journey of being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) , sharing experiences with parenting, family, experiences, and some Blogger learning.

New year Gifts to my family

Friday, December 4, 2015

Hindi/English/Hinglish ??

When a child starts learning to speak his/her first words, its such a joyous moment for parents. My kid, her first word was 'Papa' instead of saying mumma, and for water she use to say  'mum', which at first I thought she is referring to me as when she felt thirsty she use to look at me and say 'mum mum'.This illusion of mine was cleared soon....but the word 'papa' was all time on her lips whenever she saw her father.
And then gradually we made her teach other words, things, but all in hindi, or sometimes in Hinglish...isn't that every household language these days!! Day by Day my kid learned to speak more words, then sentences, but all in hindi, and I was not much bothered by it. And now she is a 3yr old chatter box speaking whole day, reciting everything to me in HINDI & HINGLISH ofcourse, and now I am getting bothered with it. Whenever we meet our age group people, or the younger ones, they interact with her starting with English language, and my kid grabbing some words answers them. She usually do not connect with fluent English conversations , and that's not at all her fault..as we have always taught her in our mother tongue Hindi. 
Whenever I find me and my kid in such a situation , it confuses me and makes me question if I am teaching my kid the right thing....After giving a good thought on the hindi versus english I have come to a conclusion that my kid should know her mother tongue well. Its not necessary that each person she will meet or interact with will be knowing english, in that scenario she will need her mother tongue to communicate. Next year she will start her schooling, which will obviously make her fluent in the language, and rest I am with her to teach her,,....only let the right time come. 
May be someday she may decide to take literature or decide to be a writer in Hindi language, so wouldn't it be something different :)
So now instead of grilling me and my kid for the foreign language, I have decided to make her progress at its own pace. Only statements are remaining, rest she knows the words, so now not a big deal for me....
Long live our mother tongue !!

No comments:

Post a Comment